According to Larry Wall:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 12:27:36PM -0700, Jeff Clites wrote:
> : Ha, I'm sure it could probably be done, but of course "most" of what
> : the shell does it invoke other programs, so in the common case it still
> : wouldn't give you portability to non-Unix-like platforms.
>
> Just translate it to a language that has most of Unix semantics built-in. :-)

Unless I've lost the thread of this discussion, that won't work.
Microparrot can't be built with e.g. a call to readlink(), because the
(non-)existence of readlink() is exactly the kind of thing that must
be probed for.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "I don't really think it is a question of bright people and dumb