Chip Salzenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> cvsuser     05/04/04 13:03:46

>   Modified:    config/gen/makefiles root.in
>   Log:
>   When generating parser or lexer, remove target .c file first.

[ ... ]
>   +   $(RM_F) $(IMCC_DIR)/imcparser.c
>   +   $(RM_F) $(IMCC_DIR)/imclexer.c

This isn't quite right, it works only if you have bison/flex and you
did Configure.pl --maintainer

If you don't change the files and just make, you end up with empty files
and a broken build: see #34675.
We have imcparser.* and imclexer.c in CVS so that not all are forced to
have bison/flex.

Reverted.

But, we should eventually be able to build on an r/o source tree. This
was discussed a bit earlier, but it's not solved/done. I think we need

  $ perl Configure.pl --build-dir=foo

and create/modify all that's needed in that directory.

leo