"Joshua Isom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But why should the result be an unportable/undocumented parrot op? If parrot's aiming for portability, so long as external libraries aren't used, shouldn't parrot treat code the same way for all platforms? Otherwise, each compiler for parrot would have to add in code to find out the size of int, and handle it to provide an expected result. Wouldn't that just be too much duplication of code?

As far as I'm aware, the I registers in Parrot are native integer sized and behave like native integers on that platform. This is for performance reasons - for cases where you want to write code that's going to run fast. If a language needs some more specific behaviour, implementing a PMC is likely the way to go - that captures the behaviour in one place, avoiding the duplication of code that you mention.

Jonathan