On Nov 5, 2005, at 4:27 PM, Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Tue Nov 01 04:52:22 2005]:

This patch fixes two classes of issue.

  * Don't assign -1 to an unsigned variable; use ~0U instead as it
makes it clear that the value is intended to be out-of-band (g++
warned about this, and C compilers will increasingly)

  * Change a K&R prototype in a config test

Regards,

Nick

I've applied the bit of the patch that removed the K&Rism in
config/auto/alignptrs/test_c.in as r9803.  I don't think that anybody,
myself included, like the idea of using ~0U as a magic value.  Can I
consider this bug 'resolved'?

Cheers,

-J

If -1 causes warnings, I'd think it should be replaced. I agree that ~0U isn't readable. How about defining a named constant? That solves both problems, and has the additional benefit of making the client code self-documenting.

Josh