On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:24:51PM +0000, Alberto Simões wrote:
> Chip:
> >The above-quoted example is only plausible if it's shorthand for, e.g.:
> >
> >    $P1 = $P0.stat   # or lstat
> >    $P1.is_dir()
> >    $P1.is_file()
> >

> Looking to this code, $P0.stat should return a Stat PMC object, so we
> can call is_dir and is_file.
> Other option is to specify that 'is_dir' and 'is_file' stat the file
> everytime they are called.

(Call this paragraph "A")

I wouldn't call this 'another option'.  Your two proposals in paragraph "A"
are compatible with each other.

> For me, both options are reasonable. Chip's proposal have the advantage
> of caching the info.

Oh dear, I goofed in my example.  What I meant is actually compatible with
what you write in paragraph "A" above, namely, that:

   $P0.stat

works, and

   $P0.is_dir
   $P0.is_file

is shorthand for

   $P1 = $P0.stat
   $P1.is_dir()
   $P1 = $P0.stat   # NOTE IMPORTANT SECOND CALL THAT I FORGOT LAST TIME, GRRR
   $P1.is_file()

--
Chip Salzenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>