On Jul 21, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Jonathan Rockway wrote:

I have downloaded the icu4j_3_4_4.jar but have no idea what to do with
it. Could someone please help?

You'll want to get icu4c (icu for C), not icu4j (for java). If you get the tgz C version, just tar xzvf it, cd source; ./configure; make; make install. Note that most Linux distros have packages for icu. apt-get install libicu.* will get everything you need on Debian. (On other distros, be sure to install the -dev or -devel pacakages).

Anyway, here's where I got it from:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/globalization/icu/3.4.1/ icu-3.4.1.tgz

On a related note, I understand that ICU is recommended but not required for Parrot (right?). After searching in the Parrot docs subdir a couple weeks ago, I couldn't find more than that. Questions:

1) Is there documentation on how ICU relates to Parrot somewhere that I missed?
 2) How important is ICU?
 3) If I build Parrot without ICU, what repercussions should I expect?

This would be a good entry for the FAQs for a cage cleaner.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)