Jonathan Worthington wrote:
> chromatic via RT wrote:
>> With ICU optional these days, is this still necessary?
>>
> Since Windows doesn't ship with a C compiler and this toolkit is one of
> the easiest ways to get hold of one for free, then yes, it's good to
> have it documented. (It may be *called* the C++ toolkit, but it's also
> what you need to compile C code. Go figure. :-))

I didn't use the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 but the full Visual Studio .NET
2003, so couldn't help there.  But I'm using the new Visual C++ 2005
Express edition to build Parrot.

Seems like the old Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is discontinued.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/visualc/aa336490.aspx

-snip-
The Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 has been replaced by Visual C++ 2005 Express
Edition. Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition [1] provides a complete
integrated development and debugging environment making it the easiest
way to create powerful applications using the C/C++ language. Visual C++
2005 Express Edition also contains an enhanced version of the C/C++
optimizing compiler for the fastest executables. Best of all, the Visual
C++ 2005 Express Edition is completely free!

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx
-snip-