chromatic wrote:
> On Friday 22 December 2006 12:54, Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> ----
>> -void Parrot_register_pmc(Parrot_INTERP, Parrot_PMC);
>> -void Parrot_unregister_pmc(Parrot_INTERP, Parrot_PMC);
>> +PARROT_API void Parrot_register_pmc(Parrot_INTERP, Parrot_PMC);
>> +PARROT_API void Parrot_unregister_pmc(Parrot_INTERP, Parrot_PMC);
>> ----
>> I thought I'd collect everything necessary together and submit a single
>> patch.
>
> That patch works for me, but if you want to hold off it's fine.  Anything
> that
> embeds Parrot needs to use those APIs anyway, so it's not a P::E specific
> fix.

It would be great if you could make the change right away.  I thought it
was just too small of a change to submit an official patch.

>> Sorry, no pkg-config here.  Not sure if there are other toolkits, like
>> MinGW or Cygwin, that are providing it.  I'm not a Linux/UNIX regular,
>> is F<parrot.pc> used by this tool?  The file is parsed directly by
>> P::E's Build.PL, so I thought it's just a random format.
>
> It's a Unix tool that helps linking against installed libraries.  F<Build.PL>
> parses it because it's probably close to correct.

I see.

>> Maybe it would be enough to come up with some platform specific search
>> code for Windows in P::C's Build.PL.  After all, everything we need is
>> the library and the headers.  I'm wondering how other Perl modules
>> handle this...
>
> There are really only two things that P::E needs in two places:
>
>       - the header and library path for compiling and linking
>       - the library path for running
>
> This is generally only tricky when building in-tree, as there's no guarantee
> of an installed Parrot.  Outside of the tree, there's no point in continuing
> if the headers aren't present; I'm not going to scan the attached mount
> points to try to find a likely target.

Right.  If in-tree, would it make sense to just ignore parrot.pc and
assume the file locations?  Maybe under some additional condition - e.g.
Windows / Visual C++, not to disrupt the current scheme where it's working?

Thanks for your help,
Ron