On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 02:56:03PM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> In my opinion, that way lies madness.  Generating a list of options which
> all possible current and future compilers will accept is not only
> impossible, it's pointless.  It's also aggravating that there's no way to
> override it or tell Configure "Yes, cc is my compiler even though it's not
> in your list."

It's like Inline::C telling me that $Config{cc} doesn't appear to be a
compiler. Yes, you can't find "ccache cc" down my $PATH, but if you try
executing it, you'll find that it works just fine.

> The only way to tell for sure if you have a working compiler is to try to
> compile and run something.  After the user has been prompted for all the
> flags, simply try to compile and run a simple test program.  If it works,
> fine.  If it doesn't, then complain with an informative error message. (It
> may be appropriate to skip the 'run' step in a cross-compilation
> environment and hope that the user got the flags right if the compilation
> succeeds.)

    int main() {
        return 0;
    }

being a fairly good minimal example. I think that it's legal C++ too.

IIRC

    main;

was found to be the shortest portable crash. :-)

Nicholas Clark