Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2007 20:05 schrieb Ron Blaschke:
> As you can see, the code is heavily optimized.  The pointer to the
> interpreter is kept on the stack as it should stay the same, only the
> opcode is exchanged.  *should* is the key word here.

Well, another note.

This optimization reaches likely back to times, when the opcode engine was
designed. It's saving one interpreter push statement [1] per JIT calling one
external function, and I've always thought of it as a very cool (and valid)
thingy, when I first realized, why the interpreter is the second argument in
opcode functions ;)

leo

[1] well at least for ancient architectures like x86, which don't have
register calling convs for parts of the arguments