Here's an issue I hadn't previously spotted in config/inter/progs.pm --
one that was revealed in the coverage analysis
(http://thenceforward.net/parrot/coverage/configure-build/config-inter-progs-pm.html).

In this package's sub runstep(), there is the following code:

    # Find a working version of a program:
    # Try each alternative, until one works.
    # If none work, then set to null command.
    # RT#43173 need config support for a null command.
    my $null          = 'echo';
    my $first_working = sub {
        foreach (@_) {
            `$_ -h 2>&1`;
            return $_ if not $?;
        }
        return $null;
    };

Neither $null nor $first_working is called at any point below this in
the sub or file.  It does not appear to be invoked by any configuration
step.  And since I don't know what its' for, I can't write a plausible
test for it.

Does anyone know the purpose of this code?  svn annotate indicates
jhoblitt and ptc have touched it.

Thank you very much.
kid51