On Saturday 17 November 2007 12:35:34 James E Keenan wrote:

> > There's the problem them.  Assuming you're using gcc 4.x,

> I'm not.

> Remember all that problem I was having at the hackathon getting my
> first build of Parrot.  You and Chip and subsequently Coke diagnosed
> it as due to my botched attempt to build my own gcc 4.x.  So ever
> since, I've specified the Apple-supplied build of gcc as a command-
> line option.

> (Not sure how that affects the current problem, however.)

That explains everything.  Visibility hiding is only available in gcc 4.x, so
you don't need PARROT_API at all; every symbol in a shared library is visible
to anything that dynamically loads that shared library.

It surprises me that Coke's x86/Darwin doesn't support visibility hiding, as I
thought he was using Mac OS X 10.4 which I thought also used gcc 4.x, so
there may be compiler option detection problems there.

Anyway, I've resolved these failures temporarily in r22866 by marking the
tests as TODO on non-Darwin platforms.

I'd like to see these tests go away, though.  Their approaches are flawed.

-- c