Hi Jerry,

> Besides the obvious _Perl6 and Parrot Essentials_, are there any
> other books that one could use to get a good background for Parrot
> development? I'm wondering if there are any references that people
> developing Parrot are using.

AFAIK Perl6 and Parrot Essentials isn't very up to date with the
current Parrot status.  There is, however, a large body of
documentation available which (I hope!) can help you, namely:
http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/.  The docs/ directory within the
Parrot svn repository also contains a lot of information.  There are
also lots of nice people who hang out on the #parrot irc channel (try
irc.perl.org for instance) who I'm sure will be all too happy to
answer any questions you have :-).  You also might want to check out
the archives for this mailing list at
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl6.internals/

I hope that helps to some degree, and welcome!

Paul