From: Allison Randal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:51:52 +0200

   The thing is, PIR doesn't respect the register numbers anyway (even in
   the so-called "absolute" registers). So P33 in the PIR source may
   compile down to P0, and P0 in the PIR source may compile down to P15.
   (Try "-o file.pasm" on any random PIR file that uses "absolute" registers.)

   We're not eliminating a feature, we're just making it clear that the
   feature doesn't exist. (And eliminating the confusion of people
   expecting it to exist.)

The feature could continue to exist -- without the confusion -- by
providing a way to disable register allocation altogether.  The IMCC
parseflags function already has code to select between the "vanilla"
allocator and a graph-based allocator depending on optimization level;
adding a "null" allocator ought to be useful for debugging.  True?

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/