I've started to hack up a little script to chain smoke Parrot.  It's
quite simple, all it currently does is:

for each test configuration
    * copy (a hopefully clean) 'trunk' to a smoke directory

    * wipe the environment and replace with a controlled one (mostly
    Path, Include, Lib and http_proxy, but could contain anything
    necessary).

    * perl Configure.pl

    * $make

    * $make smoke

    * $make languages-smoke

    * delete the temporary smoke directory

The current configurations are:
  Visual C++ 6.0, 7.1, 8.0, 9.0 and
  (MinGW) GCC 3.4.2, 4.2.1
    no dependencies (i.e., no ICU, no GMP, ...)
    both "regular" and "--optimized"

Next I'd like to add all optional dependencies as another build
configuration dimension, probably bundled together into a smoke chamber
to isolate them from my remaining system.

If someone is interested in this, or if you have an idea how to make it
more useful, please let me know.

As a first result, it seems like Parrot r23791 fails to build using
Visual C++ 6.0 or 7.1, optimized.

..\..\parrot.exe -o PGE.pbc --output-pbc PGE.pir
..\..\parrot.exe ..\..\runtime\parrot\library\PGE\Perl6Grammar.pir
--output=PGE\builtins_gen.pir PGE\builtins.pg
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '..\..\parrot.exe' : return code '0xc0000005'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Ron