On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Eric Wilhelm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> # from Moritz Lenz
> # on Monday 28 July 2008 09:52:
>
>>> That's not -just- with the patch, though, is it? I presume you've
>>> set TEST_JOBS to be something other than '1' ...
>>
>>I've set it to 2, and obeserve the errors below. With serial testing I
>>get a PASS (r29828).
>
> Yes.  TEST_JOBS=1 doesn't change anything.
>
> It looks like most of the tests in t/steps might potentially conflict.
>
> To smoke out the resource conflicts in the test suite, one would have to
> run $n jobs -- but that will forkbomb your system.  Another check is to
> run each against each other with `prove -j 2 $test_n $test_i`
>
> Tests need to be written defensively for arbitrary parallelization to be
> possible.  If that's too much coding, the non-optimal "serial within a
> directory" scheme (or other forms of work division) would have to be
> used.

i encourage you to try this out in the 'parallel' branch of the
repository. it's not synchronized with the latest changes to trunk,
but you can do that locally (for a refresher, read
docs/project/committer_guide.pod). work has been done to consolidate
the test files in that branch, and although they may not address all
the requirements for parallel testing to succeed, that is a related
goal and seems like a good place to achieve them.
~jerry