On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 July 2008 21:58:10 Mark Glines wrote:
>
>> Integer is a good example of the problem, actually.
>>
>> The internal storage format doesn't change,
>
> It certainly can.  I imagine that Kea-CL's Integers autopromote to BigInts (or
> whatever the name is), and that might require a certain precision size.
>
>> but the methods you can call
>> on it definitely will.  HLLs wrap the Integer class with their own
>> subclasses, so that they have methods they can call on integers, which
>> are expected by the HLL.
>>
>> But when your perl6 function passes a Perl6Int to a TCL function, TCL
>> HLL code code will try to access the integer, but it's not a TclInt,
>> its a Perl6Int!  The value itself is fine, but the methods it expects
>> to find will not be there.  Hence the need for conversion/mapping.
>
> Boundaries do have to be somewhat explicit; I agree.
>
> -- c

Another interaction to consider: parrot version vs. HLL version (vs.
other HLL version). We're going to need a standard way to identify the
versions of the various compilers so we can say, in rakudo, "I need at
least parrot 1.0 to run, and I want you to load version 8.5.3 of
partcl.".

We'll also need a way to have multiple versions of a single HLL
installed simultaneously.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda