I think that many of the things you say are interesting, but they are
part of a much broader discussion.

In a conversation I had with particle and chromatic at YAPC, particle
indicated that we would be revisiting the design of our configuration at
a point before 1.0.  So what I'm doing now is largely focused on
responding to particular needs expressed by our developers which do not
require a complete re-thinking of our configuration system right now.
So, for example, here I'm trying to respond to a particular issue raised
by Coke that I think can be remedied relatively simply.

But let me ask this:

On Sat Aug 09 09:37:49 2008, doughera wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, James Keenan via RT wrote:
>
> For example, how can you know
> which
> compiler flags to suggest if you don't even know which compiler you're
> using yet?

Do you believe that the search for the C compiler (and, presumably,
related things like the linker) should be moved earlier in the
configuration process?  You've hinted at that before and, though I don't
pretend to understand all the issues, it seems plausible that we should
get this information earlier than we do.  If so, what sequence of steps
would you recommend?