On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Christoph Otto via RT wrote:

> On Wed May 10 11:01:34 2006, stmpeters wrote:
> >
> > I'm taking a look at it.  I should have something working this evening
> > for the configs.  Adding the HAS_BLAH's will take some additional time.
> >
> > Steve Peters
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> "when useful" is vague does not indicate why the extra configuration
> machinery is justified by whatever benefit we'd get from using these
> functions.  If someone would like to make the requirements a little
> tighter or make the case for implementing this request (or even
> implement it), they'd be encouraged.  Otherwise this ticket isn't very
> useful.
> It would be good to either go somewhere with this or reject this request.

These functions are typically used in place of the plain sprintf and
strcat family as a way to be explicitly careful about buffer overflows.
Plain sprintf and strcat are both widely used in the parrot source.
Replacing them when it would ease future maintenance and help ensure
parrot is not susceptible to buffer overflows is a quite sensible path
forward.

As you correctly observe, no one has actually done anything about it yet.
That doesn't mean it's not worth doing, however.

I'd say it should simply stay as an open ticket.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]