Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

Just for clarification:  IIUC, the n_* opcodes and their semantics
aren't really "going away" -- they're simply being renamed to not have the leading "n_" prefix. It's the existing "add", "sub", "mul", "div", etc. opcodes that are being eliminated.

Yes. That is, calling 'add', 'sub', etc. will now create a new PMC for the result on all the builtin PMCs. But, HLL/application developers will have the option of writing their own PMCs that reuse the destination PMC instead of a creating a new one.

[...]
This would seem to indicate that the string variants of the
various math opcodes are also going away (and that's okay with me).

So, if we can just get an official ruling that the add_p_p_s,
sub_p_p_s, etc. opcodes are going away, then we can close this
ticket as moot.

Yes, these string variants only existed because of the unintelligent way the infix/n_infix opcodes blindly redispatched. In the branch, where the math opcodes are real opcodes, there are no string variants and we're not adding them.

So, ticket can be reclassified as irrelevant.

Allison