Hi,

Am Freitag, den 23.07.2010, 11:50 +0100 schrieb Nicholas Clark:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:54:10PM +0200, pugs-comm...@feather.perl6.nl wrote:
>
> > It shouldn't be too hard to write a Perl 5 script, to be run as
> > part of Rakudo's build process, that automatically updates the
> > leap-second table in tai-utc.pm.
>
> Dogfood failure.
>
> That should be a Perl 6 script.

Been there, done that :)

See http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/619

> Yes, really, I'm serious about this, and the importance of this.
> Whilst Perl 5 isn't self-hosting, it builds a perl interpreter as early as
> possible and uses that for the rest of the build system. This
>
> a: makes it easier for more end users to be able to fix things that hurt them,
>    increasing the pool of potential core contributors
> b: ensures that the core contributors are end uses of the language they
>    maintain

> I think one weakness of Parrot is that it uses almost no Parrot-based language
> in its own build system. You need to know Perl 5 or C to be useful to the
> Parrot core. And if you gain your fun by working on the Parrot core, you
> actually stop being a Parrot user, and hence experiencing what they
> experience.

Have a look at nqp-rx + kakapo + plumage + proto/PLS for some examples
where you can help without any C or Perl 5 knowledge:

http://gitorious.org/parrot-plumage
http://gitorious.net/kakapo/kakapo
http://github.com/masak/proto/tree/pls

And not to forget, the growing list of Perl 6 modules, where help is of
course always highly welcome:
http://modules.perl6.org/

Have fun, Raphael.