On Sunday, October 01, 2000 1:37 AM, Perl6 RFC Librarian
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> This and other RFCs are available on the web at
>   http://dev.perl.org/rfc/
>
> =head1 TITLE
>
> Improvement needed in error messages (both internal errors and die function).

Feel free to put anything you like between the " and the ". It's up to the
programmer to provide meaningful error messages, not the language itself. As
for the error messages themselves that get placed into $! and its kin, I will
say as a person who is forced to use M$ Access and M$ VB for a to make a living
(temporarily), that these errors by themselves (the internal error messages
within perl itself) are extremely informative. The M$ products give almost no
helpful error message at any time, making debugging nearly impossible, and
compared to Delphi and many C++ compilers, tends to correctly identify the root
of the problem rather than sending you on a wild goose chase when you leave out
a semicolon.

Feel free to use statements like

  open(F, ">$file") || die "FILE ERROR: $!\n";

if you like, but leave the mechanism simple. Otherwise you interfere with
people who DO use this type of structure to identify to the user the source of
the error (internal or external, i.e., my fault or their own stupid fault), or
whether it's an ERROR: or a WARNING: or if I'm going to ABORT:.