  Maintainer: Uri Guttman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Date: 25 Aug 2000
  Last Modified: 22 Sep 2000
  Mailing List: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Number: 158
  Version: 2

=head1 ABSTRACT

This RFC addresses ways to make the regex special variables $`, $& and
$' not be such pariahs like they are now.

=head1 CHANGES

I dropped the local scoping of $`, $& and $' as per the request of
MJD. I disagree but he is/was chair of the regex list.

=head1 DESCRIPTION

$`, $& and $' are useful variables which are never used by any
experienced Perl hacker since they have well known problems with
efficiency. Since they are globals, any use of them anywhere in your
code forces all regexes to copy their data for potential later
referencing by one of them. I will describe some ideas to make this
issue go away and return these variables back into the toolbox where
they belong.

=head1 IMPLEMENTATION

The always copy all regex data problem is solved by a new modifier k
(for keep). This tells the regex to do the copy so the 3 vars will work
properly. So you would use code like this:

        $str = 'prefoopost' ;

        if ( $str =~ /foo/k ) {

                print "pre is [$`]\n" ;
                print "match is [$&]\n" ;