J . David Blackstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  I may be making a bad assumption here, but since a package is
>usually (but not always) defined one per file, I'm assuming that in
>several of these places where you said "package" we should perhaps
>think "file."

It is common practice in perl5 to do both of these:

A. Multiple packages in one file, using lexicals at file scope
   to communicate bewteen them.

B. Package split accross multiple files (classic case being AUTOLOADed subs)
   with package variables to communicate between the parts.

You need to be able to represent both schemes to tanslate perl5 code
(but it can be "moderately awkward" to discourage new weirdnesses).

--
Nick Ing-Simmons