> I'm truly not clear on  what you're yucking there.

I'm objecting to the subtlety that a string in a scalar as the first
argument creates a method call, whereas a *stringified* string in a scalar
as the first argument creates a subroutine call.

   > Would you be any happier if one were to permit UNIVERSAL methods on
   > "invalid" invocants, making that UNIVERSAL::print instead of
   > CORE::print?

I would be happier of we just let the whole nightmare that is the
indirect object syntax die the death it deserves! :-)

Methods aren't subroutines and I see no benefit -- and many drawbacks --
in syntactically confusing the two.

Damian