At 01:21 AM 8/6/00 -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:
>I think there are two problems. One is the naming convention, the
>second, the global effects.
>
>Why not split them. The names could be improved.
>
>And the global nature (of the name) abolished.

I'm not entirely sure that tossing the global nature of these things is a
bad idea. It is kinda convenient to be able to mess with things (like $^W)
and have them stay messed-with. Tossing that makes some sense from a
stricture/no-action-at-a-distance standpoint, but having a quick & dirty
way to just *do* something is kinda perlish.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk