DC> For example, to short-circuit if the reduction ever becomes undef:

DC> $sum = { defined $_[0] or last; $_[0]+$_[1] } 0, @numbers;

Chaim> Actually, it would be easier to do in reduce, the undefs should
Chaim> simply be ignored.

If I understand you correctly, I want to disagree with you.

What if the "reduce" was to count the number of undefs?

  $count = reduce { $a + not defined $b } 0, @some_list;

Do not discard undef from the source list.