Chaim Frenkel wrote:

> Would Unicode reduce the problem? Take some operators from the math symbols
> and make them the matrix op versions?
>
> (Now, if we add all that APL symbols ...)

Chaim, I think you are on to something here.  But before jumping to Unicode or APL
to get more line noise, let's remember something from those early versions of
BASIC that supported matrix operations:

160 MAT A = B * C
170 MAT PRINT

The matrix operations were all used following the MAT keyword.  Without the MAT
keyword, the operators all did scalar stuff.

Rather than a "use matrixops" which applies to a whole program or at least a whole
module, perhaps we just need to borrow MAT, as in:

matrix @a = @b * @c;

and even

matrix @a = @b || @c;

--