JS> On 8/16/00 12:37 PM, Perl6 RFC Librarian wrote:

>> It is proposed that a new syntax for declaring constants be introduced:
>>
>> my $PI : constant = 3.1415926;
>> my @FIB : constant = (1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21);
>> my %ENG_ERRORS : constant = (E_UNDEF=>'undefined', E_FAILED=>'failed');
>>
>> Constants can be lexically or globally scoped (or any other new scoping
>> level yet to be defined).

JS> I'm not crazy about the "attribute" syntax's use for constants.  I prefer
JS> this:

JS>     constant $PI = 3.1415926;

Propose it but I believe that Larry has already semi-blessed the attribute
version.

The problem with the prefix version is that that is already reserved for
my/our/local.

And constant-ness in my mind is an attribute or modifer of the value
or perhaps of the container. It has no bearing on the scoping or type
of the value.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183