> Actually this is pretty cool, add a = and turn it into a variable
> declaration:
>
>    my format $FORMAT = <<'.';
> @<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<, @<<<<<<<<<<<<
> $stuff, $junk
> .
>
> And that looks pretty similar to Perl 5. ;-)

Yah, but it's frought with the possibility of confusion.  I can easily
see someone looking at your example, and then writing:

   my format $INVOICELINE = <<".";
$qty, $partid, $desc{$partid}, $price{$partid}, $qty*$$price{$partid}
.

and wondering why all their invoice lines were identical -- and
malformed!

--
     Buddha Buck                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our