On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 11:25:31AM -0700, Steve Fink wrote:
> I agree. I'd like q/.../ to stick as close to giving me ... as possible.
> I can live with the current 'foo\\bar' having only one backslash in it,
> but I'd rather not have to worry about anything else. I'd vote for
> Glenn's allowing the disabling of interpolation in qq// and <<""
> instead.
>
> Does it strike anyone else as odd that 'foo\\bar' eq 'foo\bar'?

Not at all.  I can't count the number of times I have railed against bash
for deciding that you cannot escape ' inside ' (e.g. 'foo\'s bar').  Being
unable to escape \ would cause similar grief (e.g. 'foo bar\\').

This is incredibly annoying when doing Perl one-liners especially; one is
forced to use single quotes so that bash doesn't attempt to interpolate
variables itself.  Unfortunately, one can't use single quotes internally
unless you say \047 or its equivalent (which I nearly always have to go look
up), or q{} if you're quoting something.  q{} has saved my sanity more than
once.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net