I'd be all for the XML documentation idea, either as a replacement
for or as a substitute for POD.  However, I'd like to note that if you
want XML documentation in your Perl code, POD really makes it easy:

=for XML (or DocBook, or whatever)

Simply require yourself to use only POD sections like the above, and
you can put all your documentation in XML.  Of course, you'll need a
good pod2xml translator (and probably a custom DTD).

  If you try this, and make it work, maybe you can make a good case
for XML as the only (or primary) documentation in Perl.

  With the =for "escape hatch," POD can be left unchanged for the
present, and some kind of XML system (or whatever) can take over
later.

  While POD hasn't changed for several years, the QA group has a
couple of ideas in the works to morph it in desireable ways that might
be easier if POD were replaced with an XML DTD.

  Just my $.02.

jdb