On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 06:36:56PM -0600, David L. Nicol wrote:

> Is there a perl6 sort committee yet?  AFter reading Cawley's
> method here, I wonder if using it we could make radix-sorts the
> default sort method.

Radix sorts are great if the data cooperates, radix sorts can really
fly in such conditions -- but this is not always the case: radix sorts
require that you have an unambiguous rule for mapping all the keys to
a flat fixed-length 'namespace'.  Take, for example your usual strings
of practically unlimited length.  You can't define a (non-lossy and
non-colliding) rule to map them to, say, fixed-length integers.

Therefore and thusly: we aim for pluggable sort algorithms.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen