On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 02:04:25PM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 11:47:59PM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > The sorting algorithm? Before 5.005 (I think...my memory is going)
> > vendors' quicksort, after that Tom Horsley's excellent ultratuned
> > quicksort (since vendors' quicksorts were (a) buggy (c) slow),
> > in 5.7 mergesort by John Lindermann was introduced.
>
> Could someone give me a pointer to the whys and wherefors of the
> change from quicksort to mergesort?

Executive summary:

(1) Quicksort has a weak point where it goes deep into the Quadratic Land:
    (nearly) already ordered data.  No, that is not so far-fetched a case.
    Mergesort has no similar weakpoints: its performance is in fact
    consistently N log N.

(2) Mergesort is stable.  Quicksort is not.

Some of the discussion:

(and the following thread)

and a real-life case: