Jeanna FOx wrote:
> It also looks like some features are impossible to turn off -- like the
> mandatory locking that jwz hates about Java. It's not safe to turn it
> off, but it's not really safe with it on either. Some people would rather
> loose the illusion of safety to get better performance.

Well, mandatory locking is something we should definetly NOT have in Perl6.
Most of perl's code today is not threaded, and I believe much of it will
continue to be this way. The pseudo-fork thread behaviour that is being
proposed also makes this ok. Even if you have threads, you have to say
explicitly if you want anythinig to be shared. And if you explicitly
share something, then you should care the locks by yourself.

At least, that's my opinion.

- Branden