On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Peter Scott wrote:

[ -e vs. --cmd vs. -6]

> Whatever we come up with, let's figure out how to avoid having to change it
> the next time we change Perl.

I don't think this is getting us anywhere useful.

What happens if perl7 is sufficiently different from perl6 in such a way
that you could imagine needing to distinguish for a one-liner between
perl6 and perl7?  This would be exactly the perl5/perl6 problem we face
now.

And, I hasten to point out, this is very similar to the perl4/perl5
problem we faced some time ago.

Like most challenging design issues, there is probably no single ideal
solution, and it's rather pointless to endlessly debate it in a vacuum.
One needs to consider each issue individually against the larger backdrop
of the goal of being mostly compatible.  Perl's history is rich with
examples of both keeping and breaking compatibility.  Perl6 is likely to
continue in that tradition.

Let's leave -e alone for now and worry about handling specific
incompatibilities when we in fact have some specific incompatibilities to
worry about.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics