At 02:33 PM 4/16/01 -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:

>At 09:47 AM 4/16/2001 -0700, Peter Scott wrote:
>>As a very low-tech solution, why not bundle perl 5 *with* perl 6 so that
>>once perl 6 detects that it's been fed perl 5 code, it can send it to the
>>perl 5 compiler/interpreter.
>
>Besides the size and clunkiness issues, there's another problem. String
>evals in a perl 5 section of code will expect to be parsed as perl 5,
>which kinda precludes the whole "compile perl 5 to bytecode and pass it
>through the p526 converter" solution. Makes mixing and matching perl5 and
>perl 6 code rather more difficult. :(

Er, I don't get it.  I'm proposing that if perl 6 determines it's been
given perl 5 code, it does "exec perl5 $0".  So thereafter it's as though
perl 6 never existed as far as that code is concerned; whatever it wants to
do should be completely independent of any perl 6 code.  I'm bypassing the
"compile perl 5 to bytecode and pass it through the p526 converter"
solution.  I have my doubts as to how well that's going to work with things
like XS anyway.

Or were you espousing the notion that perl 6 programs should be able to
contain sections of perl 5 code?  That gives me strange palpitations.
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies