Nathan Wiger wrote:
> I *really* don't want this to turn into a religious argument,

Neither do I.

> coming from a sh/C background.

I understand.  I think I was able to learn Perl as quickly
as I did because of certain syntactic similarities.
But it's not why I program in Perl now, and it's certainly
now why I *like* to program in Perl now.

> ...closer to other languages with -> vs ., then adding "~" works against
> that goal. This is made worse by the fact that *everyone* - Perl hackers
> and Java programmers alike - will perceive this as different from all
> other languages. It runs directly counter to the original goal: Making
> Perl syntax more consistent with other languages.

The more I read about this issue, the more I think the string
concat operator ought to /[a-z]+/, like the other string ops.

--
John Porter