On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:10:10AM -0500, David L. Nicol wrote:
> That means, if you have a long list of scalars rou want to cat
>       together and it will run over the edge of your line
>       you can do this:
>
>       $onethroughten = $one$two$three$four$five""
>               ""$six$seven$eight$nine$ten;

I think the proper phrase here is "ick".  To my non-C, non-Shell
programming eyes, that's just a confused jumble.  It'll also play hell
with trying to mix strings in there.  I could live my entire life
without seeing:

        $foo = $one$two'three'$four"five"$six

> Will someone please explain to me the "indirect object syntax"
> which this allegedly steps on?

(The hellish abomination of ;) indirect object syntax works like this:

        $obj = new Some::Module @args;

to mean

        $obj = Some::Module->new(@args);

Any proposal which tries to use whitespace as a concatination operator
runs into its territory, but I don't think yours would cause problems
(except for the rash of patients admitted to local hospitals with
bleeding eyes).

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl6 Quality Assurance     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Kwalitee Is Job One