David Grove writes:
: > That's not how I see it.  The filehandle is naturally true if it
: > succeeds.  It's the undef value that wants to have more information.
: > In fact, you could view $! as a poor-man's way of extracting the error
: > that was attached to the last undef.
:
: If I were wealthy enough in time and patience to forego poor-man's error
: handling for exceptions and verbosity I'd be programming in C++ with PCRE.

Thank you.  I think...

I hope you weren't reading my remark to say that $! is going away,
because it's not.  But $! might well *mean* what I said in Perl 6.

Larry