On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So I'd say no, Perl can't know at compile-time if your method is
> declared or not.  Only in certain restricted cases, such as if you
> don't inherit from anything, or if *all* your parent classes are
> declared strictly.

        (By 'strictly', I think you mean 'all methods (etc) are declared
explicitly in code, not generated by AUTOLOAD, etc'.  If I'm not
understanding you correctly, please correct me.)

        Couldn't we still have a 'be-super-strict' flag that would throw
warnings upon encountering a construct that would interfere with
compile-time checking?  Make it be off by default, of course, but if
people want Perl to help them check this kind of thing, it should be
possible.

                                Dave