[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
: Larry pondered:
:
: > Perhaps we shouldn't be using ; for this.
:
: That has occurred to me on several occasions but, checking my pockets, I
: find I'm fresh out of spare symbols to replace it with.
:
: We could always use colon, of course ;-)

Well, more likely than that would be double colon.  It would stand out
better:

And it would probably not interfere much with the doubledoubledots
of the ??:: operator.  (Certainly less than the ; overloading.)

On the other hand, semicolon works out really nicely within brackets
for multidimensional slices, and the mathematicians like it.  And I
don't know how the :: would fit in with other adverbial generalities.

Larry