On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Deven T. Corzine wrote:
> Would it be better for the matching of (Jun|June) to be "undefined" and
> implementation-dependent?  Or is it best to require "leftmost" semantics?

For an alternation spelled out explicitly in the pattern, it seems like
undefined matching would be confusing.  I regularly order the branches of
regexes assuming they are tried left-to-right.

On the other hand, and on a related note of constrained implementation, do
we require leftmost matching for interpolated arrays of literals (e.g.
"/@x/")?  If, as with hyper-operators, we said the order of evaluation is
undefined, we could use a fast algorithm (Aho-Corasick?) that doesn't
preserve order.

/s