--

On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:24:11
 Damian Conway wrote:

>Think of it as punctuation. As a necessary alternative to the poor
>overworked colon.

Or the poor overworked dot?

>> it all looks the same to me. And I like different things to look different.
>
>A fair point. My counterargument is that you're looking at the wrong bit.

A fair counterargument (a new programming game -
badmitton!)

At this point I originally had a long reply stating my
feelings. In the course of writing it and trying to
anticiplate Damian's counter counter counter arguments
the reply grew and grew until I realized I had changed
sides. But I'll assemble what thoughts were worth
salvaging into a different post and see where they go,
and get Damian off of the CC list :-).

>Hang in there. If these "mixed number" C<aka>s were allowed then I'd suggest
>the semantics be that they indicate that *either* a scalar or array is
>acceptable in the corresponding argument slot. The scalar variant of the
>parameter would be bound to a scalar argument, or to a reference to an array
>argument.  The array variant of the parameter would be bound to an array
>argument, or it's zeroth element bound to a scalar argument.

I think that my problem here lies that I want to treat
a property as either a lvalue or a subroutine call,
and my brain keeps screaming "Watch out for variable
interpolation!". I've been bitten by that enough in my
early module writing days that the fear comes quickly.
What I need (and I hope I'm not alone, or with too
much company) is to know exactly what the is does
here. What kind argument is it taking? Value, name, or
reference? Once I pin that down, the whole thing
should be clear.

>> -Erik
>>
>>>Damian
>>
>> PS - Ha! My name above Damian's :-)
>
>Letting me get the last word, eh? Very kind of you. ;-)

Touche ('cept with an accent on the e there). Maybe were fencing, not playing
badmitton.

-Erik

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com