In the "Re: Wh<[ie]>ther Infix Superposition ops" thread

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Piers Cawley wrote:

> But given a decent Collection hierarchy:
>
>     my $seen = Set.new($start,$finish);
>
>     for <> -> $next {
>         print $next unless $next =~ $seen;
>         $seen.insert($next);
>     }

Just a thought...are sets (or other Collection types) something that we
use often enough that they would deserve to be in the core language?  I
know I've used hashes as no-repeats-allowed sets many times, so clearly
they are commonly useful.  On the other hand, since this can be done,
maybe there is no need to implement a new core feature for them.

I suspect the answer is "no, we don't need them" but I just thought I'd
ask; I'm curious about the design reasons either way.

--Dks