Deborah Ariel Pickett wrote:

> Assuming that semicolon is no longer going to be a supercomma in these
> situations, does that mean that we C addicts can have C<for> back to do
> the kinds of loops that we mean when we say "for loops"?

I hope not.

> I really don't much like the C<loop> keyword.
>
>   for ($i = 1; $i < 10; $i++) { ... }
>
> (Or is there still some syntactic ambiguity that I haven't thought of?)

No. It's more a cognitive ambiguity.

One of the goals was to reduce (or preferrably eliminate) syntactic homonyms
in Perl 6. You'll notice that one of the C<eval>s has been renamed to C<try>.
and C<do>s will be similarly disambiguated.

For several discussions of why this particular feature of natural languages
*doesn't* map well onto programming languages, see:

	http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/#Human_Factors_in_Programming_Languages

Damian (an unrepentant homonymophobic)