Michael G Schwern writes:
> I'd love to be able to do it with a grep like thing.
>
>      (@switches, @args) = seperate /^-/, @ARGV;

Yes.  I've written that function in Perl 5, which isn't ideal, because you
have to return array refs, not arrays.

However, I don't think it should be called 'seperate'.  I also don't think
it should be called 'separate', because that word seems to be commonly
misspelled...

It's hard to come up with a good name, though.  Bad ones I've thought of
include:

   grepboth
     - The unpleasant name my Perl 5 implementation has
   split
     - Overloaded meaning -- but we could perhaps get away with scalar-split
       and array-split being different
   characterize
     - Or do I mean 'characterise'?
   partition
   classify
     - These are the two I dislike least

>    @switches = @ARGV.cull /^-/;
>
> Array.cull would remove and return a list of every element in @ARGV which
> matched.

I'm not so fond of that -- I don't think it's as obvious that you're doing a
two-way classification.

--
Aaron Crane * GBdirect Ltd.
http://training.gbdirect.co.uk/courses/perl/