> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Murat_=DCnalan?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 14:50:22 +0100
>
> > >  my int ($pre, $in, $post) is constant = (0..2);
> > >
> > > Two things "type and property" that belong so together
> >
> > Do they? Surely the type and constancy of a variable are
> > entirely orthogonal to each other.
>
> Oh yes. Psycho-affectivly it is disturbing seeing the group of variables
> ($pre, $in, $post) teared apart from the initilizing (0..2). This is my
> second step in the brain when analysing it. And this is prone to
> problems like in:
>
>  my int ($one, $two, $three, $four, $five, $six, $seven ) is Prop(
> 'camel', 'perl', 'camel', 'perl' ) = (0..6);
>
> where the distance grows with property-syntax-complexity.

In Perl 5,

  my int ($one = 0, $two = 1, $three = 2);

is a fatal error.  I could argue for this to change, as to support
better readability (and it would).  It's obvious WIM, so why doesn't
it DWIM  (disclaimer: cannot be used as an argument for arbitrary
features. Is not a slogan.  I repeat, is not a slogan.  :)  ?

If you say that:

  my int ($one = 0, $two = 1, $three = 2) is constant;

is seperating related parts, I disagree.  I don't think C<constant>
has anything to do with C<int>.  Like Damian said, they're orthogonal
concepts.

> Suggestion: it could be pieced to
>
>  my constant int ($pre, $in, $post ) = (0..2);
>
> which i guess is far superior (of course i hadn't done any field testing
> and making statistics over it).

It's not far superior.  It's pretending like C<constant> is part of
the type, which it isn't.

> Btw: it is self-explanatory for many cross-language-programmers.

Yes, but

  my int $foo is constant;

Is self-explanatory for many language-speakers.  If I recall, the set
of cross-language-programmers is a proper subset of the set of
language-speakers.  It is clear which is clearer :).

> Excerpt: Ony of my fears orginate from the idea that someone new to
> perl6 could be put off by such hard nuts during the very basics of
> variable decleration.

What hard nuts?  p6d is working on a fine nutcracker, in any case.

Luke