--- Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rich Morin) writes:
> > I have commented before on the face that Perl doesn't have "Power
> Tools"
> > (read, idioms) that are well suited for handling XML.  Turns out
> that
> > Tim Bray agrees.
>
> Tim Bray also says he gives up and uses regexes as a quick and dirty
> work around. So maybe these power tools you keep touting aren't
> necessary after all.

FWIW, I've had to try to rewrite Microsoft's VCPROJ and SLN format
files(*), which look a whole lot like XML. Sadly, if you change the
order of independent entities in the file, Microsoft's internal parser
rejects the file. This despite the fact that MS already has an XML
parser dll available for public consumption (More than one version, in
fact).

To me, this says that there's no real commitment to "doing XML". What
there is seems to be a recognition that XML format is regular and
comprehensible to others, so writing "XML-like" files becomes popular.

=Austin

(*) VCPROJ and SLN files are control files for the VS.net IDE product.