Larry Wall wrote:
[...]

[I wrote:]
: maybe it's because I don't think a : function's arity is quite the same as it's *minimum* number of : parameters? I mean, it makes sense in a functional language... but you : don't have functions with a variable number of arguments there.

Sure, but one can imagine having functions with a given arity that
can nonetheless be modified adverbially.  In this view, required
parameters contribute to "arity", but optional parameters are only
used for, er, options.

I can see your point, but I still think this is kind of warping the way people think of an n-ary function (if they do think of functions to have an arity in the first place).

Steffen
--
@n=([283488072,6076],[2105905181,8583184],[1823729722,9282996],[281232,
1312416],[1823790605,791604],[2104676663,884944]);$b=6;@c=' -/\_|'=~/./g